Accessing your internet essentials in China can be frustrating. VPNs can help you get around internet censorship — but not all VPNs work well in China. Our China VPN Ultimate Guide is constantly updated from here in China to let you know what works and what doesn’t.
Who is this VPN guide for?
- Are coming to China for work or travel or living here AND
- Use the internet
Then this guide is for you!
- Everyone coming to China needs a VPN to access Google, Facebook, Youtube, and many other blocked apps and websites.
- Many VPNs don’t work in China or they are just plain slow (thanks Great Firewall!)
- As techies, we wanted to find the best VPNs for China to keep our internet connections fast, reliable, and unblocked. We’ve tested a lot of VPN apps and we share our user experiences in this guide.
Best VPNs for China 2017:
VPN CENTER Overview
- Very fast speeds, reliable, strong encryption
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Connect up to 3 devices simultaneously
- Very smooth dedicated apps for Mac / Windows / iOs / Android
- Mobile apps reconnect automatically
- Site is not blocked in China (easier access and customer support)
here’s a lot of cheap VPN apps out on the market today. Unfortunately, many of these VPNs are not designed for China’s internet filter. These cheap VPNs are hastily put together apps with only a basic OpenVPN type connection and limited server choices and bandwidth. This is a problem since the Great Firewall internet filter in China is sophisticated enough to block basic OpenVPN connections, and regional Internet Service Provider variations require careful selection of VPN server locations.
I’ve used VPNCenter quite extensively in China, and it is my go to VPN service that I recommend to my friends. We particularly like the clean and simple dedicated desktop and mobile apps they offer. They work well and I can usually get a decently fast connection (7 mbps on desktop from 10 mbps max) if I connect to the US Los Angeles or Hong Kong servers, which are specifically optimized for China users. Connection drop-outs are rare unlike many of the other VPN apps I have tested. Encryption is a pretty standard 128-bit or 256-bit OpenVPN with an unspecified kind of stealth layer.
Setup is a breeze and will take you only a couple minutes to get everything running on desktop / mobile.
Download the VPNCENTER app for your device / computer.
Open the app – follow install instructions. Start the app.
Paste the User&Pass code when prompted. Done!